Some time ago, a co-worker brought a meat pie to lunch. The aroma was familiar—and after one taste, I was amazed to discover it was the same pie my grandmother used to serve when I was a youngster! She shared the recipe, and I have been enjoying it ever since. Rita Winterberger, Huson, Montana
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 pounds ground turkey or beef
- 2 pounds ground pork
- 3 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 2 cups mashed potatoes
- 1 tablespoon ground allspice
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Pastry for two double-crust pies (9 inches)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- In a Dutch oven, saute onions in oil until tender. Remove and set aside. In the same pan, cook beef and pork over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Remove from the heat. Add the onions, vegetables, potatoes and seasonings.
- Line two 9-in. pie plates with bottom crusts; trim pastry even with edge of plate. Fill each with about 5 cups filling. Roll out remaining pastry to fit tops of pies; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in pastry and brush tops with egg.
- Cover and freeze for up to 3 months. Or, bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown.
- To bake frozen pies: Unwrap pies. Bake at 425° for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 375°. Cover edges loosely with foil and bake 35-40 minutes longer or until crusts are golden brown. Yield: 2 pies (8 servings each).
Originally published as Tourtieres in Complete Freezer Cookbook bookazine 2012 2012, p26
Reviews for Tourtieres
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Baked Potatoes >
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Budget Ground Beef Recipes >
- Christmas Dinner Recipes >
- Christmas Main Dish Recipes >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Beef Recipes >
- Pork Dinner Recipes >