When temperatures drop, people in our region start craving the ultimate French-Canadian comfort food—savory meat pie, or tourtiere.—Vivianne Remillard, St. Joseph, Manitoba
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1-1/4 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1-1/4 pounds ground pork
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup water
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon dried sage leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1. Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom pastry; trim pastry even with edge of plate. Set aside.
- 2. In a large skillet, cook the beef, pork and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in water and seasonings, then bread crumbs.
- 3. Spoon into prepared pastry. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in pastry.
- 4. Bake at 375° for 50-60 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Yield: 6 servings.
1 piece: 689 calories, 41g fat (16g saturated fat), 135mg cholesterol, 687mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 39g protein.
Reviews for Tourtiere
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC