Touchdown Cookies Recipe
With some simple sweet touches, you can transform regular sugar cookies into a special treat for football fans at your pigskin party. —Sister Judith LaBrozzi, Canton, Ohio
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Bake: 10 min. + cooling YIELD:27 servings
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 4 to 5 tablespoons hot water
- 3 to 4 teaspoons baking cocoa
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, cream of tartar and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 3 hours or until easy to handle.
- 2. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a football-shaped cookie cutter. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- 4. In a large bowl, combine confectioners' sugar and enough hot water to achieve spreading consistency; beat until smooth. Place 3 tablespoons glaze in a small bowl; set aside.
- 5. Add cocoa to remaining glaze; stir until smooth. Spread brown glaze over cookies. Pipe white glaze onto cookies to form football laces. Yield: 4-1/2 dozen.
1 serving (2 each) equals 180 calories, 7 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 34 mg cholesterol, 120 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC