Touch of Spring Muffins Recipe
Strawberries and rhubarb are a winning combination, and their sweet-tart pairing makes these lovely muffins delightful as part of a meal or as a snack. Remember this recipe when your backyard rhubarb is ready to cut or you see fresh stalks at the store. -Gail Sykora, Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 10 min. Bake: 25 min. YIELD:12 servings
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh rhubarb
- 6 small fresh strawberries, halved
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In a small bowl, beat the egg, milk and oil until smooth. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in strawberries and rhubarb.
- 2. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Place a strawberry half, cut side down, on each. Sprinkle with sugar.
- 3. Bake at 375° for 22-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm. Yield: 1 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 185 calories, 7 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 20 mg cholesterol, 212 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC