Tossed Wilted Lettuce Salad
My mother loved the outdoors and especially enjoyed working in her garden. When she served this salad, she would first prepare the dressing. The last thing she would do is go out to the garden to pick some lettuce. Mother timed all of this to serve my dad the freshest salad ever.
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 2 quarts fresh torn leaf lettuce
- 2 tablespoons sliced green onions
- 5 slices bacon
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic salt
- Place lettuce and onions in a salad bowl; set aside. In a skillet,
- fry bacon until crisp. Remove bacon; set aside. In the drippings,
- combine all remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, stirring
- constantly. Immediately pour over salad. Crumble bacon and add to
- salad; toss well. Serve immediately. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 189 calories, 17 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 19 mg cholesterol, 422 mg sodium, 6 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein.