Tossed Salad with Oranges Recipe
- POPPY SEED DRESSING:
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 6 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 10 cups torn salad greens
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- 6 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 2 to 4 tablespoons slivered almonds
- 1. In a food processor or blender, combine the oil, vinegar, sugar, onion, mustard and salt. Cover and process until smooth. Stir in the poppy seeds
- 2. In a salad bowl, combine the greens, oranges, bacon and almonds. Drizzle with dressing and toss to coat. Serve immediately. Yield: 10 servings (1-1/2 cups dressing).
1 serving (1 each) equals 218 calories, 14 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 3 mg cholesterol, 136 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein.
Reviews for Tossed Salad with Oranges
"My family really enjoyed the different taste of this salad. Even my "will not touch salad with a 10 ft. pole" son ate some and said that it's a keeper. The oranges give it a nice fresh, crisp flavor. I did substitue turkey bacon for the bacon and it still was great. One thing I would change for next time is decreasing the amount of onion in the dressing. It was good, it just had way too much onion bite and aftertaste. I don't know if it's our pungeant onions around here or what, but next time I will be decreasing the onion by at least half."