Tortilla-Vegetable Chicken Soup Recipe
- 3 flour tortillas (6 inches), cut into 1-inch strips
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 3/4 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes with mild green chilies
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- Shredded Monterey Jack cheese, optional
- 1. Place tortilla strips on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray; bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Set aside.
- 2. In a 6-qt. stock pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add celery, carrot and onion; cook and stir 6-8 minutes or until tender. Stir in chicken, corn, beans, tomatoes, broth and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- 3. Serve with cheese if desired and tortilla strips. Yield: 6 servings.
1-2/3 cups (calculated without chicken drippings and cheese) equals 315 calories, 8 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 36 mg cholesterol, 1,386 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 25 g protein.