Tortilla Soup Recipe
- 1 medium tomato, quartered
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) whole tomatoes, undrained
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 cans (10-1/2 ounces each) condensed chicken broth, undiluted
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- 6 corn tortillas (6 inches)
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- Sour cream
- Shredded cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese
- Place the tomatoes, onion and garlic in a blender; cover and process until smooth. Transfer to a large saucepan. Add chicken broth and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut tortillas into 1/4-in. strips; fry in hot oil until crisp and brown. Drain on paper towels. Ladle soup into bowls; top with tortilla strips, sour cream and cheese. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Tortilla Soup(1)
Sort By :
This is the best tortilla soup recipe I've made. Most tortilla soups are heavy and too filling as first course. This one is not; rather it is light, healthy, and full of flavor. The coriander adds a distinct but not overbearing taste. I did increase the amount of cumin to 1 tsp., and added a can of black beans and some corn. Served with a dab of light sour cream and a liberal sprinkling of shredded cheese, this is a wonderful first dish, especially when followed with a Mexican entree (ours was fajitas). This is definitely a keeper.