Tortilla Pie Recipe
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Mexican diced tomatoes, drained
- 3/4 cup reduced-fat ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro, divided
- 4 whole wheat tortillas (8 inches)
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°. In a large skillet, cook and crumble beef with onion and garlic over medium heat until no longer pink, 4-6 minutes. Stir in spices and tomatoes. Bring to a boil; remove from heat. In a small bowl, mix ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese and 2 tablespoons cilantro.
- 2. Place one tortilla in a 9-in. round baking pan coated with cooking spray. Layer with half of the meat sauce, one tortilla, ricotta mixture, another tortilla and remaining meat sauce. Top with remaining tortilla; sprinkle with cheddar cheese and remaining cilantro.
- 3. Bake, covered, until heated through, 15-20 minutes. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving: 356 calories, 14g fat (6g saturated fat), 65mg cholesterol, 574mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 5g fiber), 25g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1/2 fat.
Reviews for Tortilla Pie
"This is a regular in our menu rotation- Instead of the onion and garlic, I use 1 package of Mild Taco seasoning."
"A HUGE hit for dinner tonight. We used diced tomatoes with jalapenos in them...very yummy :-)"
"It was a little bland. It just seems as if it were missing something. Not my favorite recipe can't complain about how quick it goes together though!"
"Loved this recipe. Only diced tomatoes I had were fire roasted which added a little more spice which was good. Also no fresh cilantro so I used dried cilantro."
"This was great! I didn't have hamburger, so I substituted ground turkey and I also used a can of diced tomatoes with green chilies instead of Italian tomatoes. Our small town doesn't carry fresh cilantro, so had to used dried. Even with all these substitutions, I would definitely make it again! The green chilies gave it some PIZAZZ!! My husband said it is a keeper!"