Tortilla Bean Pie Recipe
This dish tastes much too good to be good for you, but it is. The beans provide protein and fiber. I've served it over and over at my house, and we never tire of it.—Terri Webber, Miami, Florida.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Bake: 25 min. YIELD:4 servings
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons chili sauce
- 4 flour tortillas (8 inches)
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, drained
- 3/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, sour cream and/or additional salsa, optional
- 1. In a large skillet, cook onion in oil over medium heat until the onion is tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the beans, cumin and chili powder. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes, mashing the beans with a wooden spoon. Stir in chili sauce; set aside.
- 2. Wrap tortillas in foil; bake at 350° for 10 minutes. Unwrap; place one tortilla in a greased 9-in. deep-dish pie plate. Layer with a third of the bean mixture. Combine the salsa and chilies; spoon a third over the bean mixture. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup cheese. Repeat layers twice. Top with the remaining tortilla.
- 3. Cover and bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until heated through. Cut into wedges. Serve with lettuce, tomatoes, sour cream and salsa if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 414 calories, 17 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 19 mg cholesterol, 805 mg sodium, 50 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 15 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC