- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons chili sauce
- 4 flour tortillas (8 inches)
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, drained
- 3/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, sour cream and/or additional salsa, optional
- In a large skillet, cook onion in oil over medium heat until the onion is tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the beans, cumin and chili powder. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes, mashing the beans with a wooden spoon. Stir in chili sauce; set aside.
- Wrap tortillas in foil; bake at 350° for 10 minutes. Unwrap; place one tortilla in a greased 9-in. deep-dish pie plate. Layer with a third of the bean mixture. Combine the salsa and chilies; spoon a third over the bean mixture. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup cheese. Repeat layers twice. Top with the remaining tortilla.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until heated through. Cut into wedges. Serve with lettuce, tomatoes, sour cream and salsa if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Tortilla Torte in Casserole Cookbook 2001, p213
Reviews for Tortilla Bean Pie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review