- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen cheese tortellini
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Additional grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- Cook tortellini according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the tomatoes, spinach, basil, salt and pepper. Cook and stir over medium heat until liquid is absorbed, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in cream and cheese. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until thickened.
- Drain tortellini; toss with sauce. Sprinkle with additional cheese if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Tortellini with Tomato-Cream Sauce
"Amazing sauce! Followed recipe except i added red pepper flakes to give that little kick. My husband started licking his bowl till i told him there was more in the pan."
"We LOVED this sauce!!! It is the best I have ever made. I used 2 large cloves of garlic and 1 average size one. (It sounded like a lot, but was great.) I also used 1 teaspoon of italian seasonings instead of the basil. Skipped the spinach all together for us. I would use the cream or half n half, makes it creamier and smooth. I'm sure we'll be fighting over the small dish of leftovers for lunch. One word for this dish, "Amazing"."
"I've made this several times now, and it's always a big favorite with both children and adults. It's delicious with the cream, but you could also substitute whole milk if you are trying to minimize the calories a little."
"The sauce is especially good!"
"Great recipe! My little girl can't get enough."