Tortellini Spinach Casserole Recipe
- 1 package (19 ounces) frozen cheese tortellini
- 1 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup butter, divided
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1/2 pound brick cheese, cubed
- 3 packages (10 ounces each) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Cook tortellini according to package directions.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute mushrooms, garlic powder, onion powder and pepper in 1/4 cup butter until mushrooms are tender. Remove and keep warm.
- 3. In same skillet, combine milk and remaining butter. Bring to a gentle boil; stir in brick cheese until smooth. Drain tortellini; place in a large bowl. Stir in mushroom mixture and spinach. Add cheese sauce and toss to coat.
- 4. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish; sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Cover and bake 15 minutes. Uncover; bake 5-10 minutes longer or until heated through and cheese is melted. Yield: 12 servings.
1 cup: 281 calories, 19g fat (12g saturated fat), 64mg cholesterol, 378mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 15g protein
Reviews for Tortellini Spinach Casserole
"This is a family favorite! I do only use one 10oz package of spinach (and most times not even all of that!) and it's more than enough for my spinach-loving husband"
"Easy to make, but we think only 2 boxes of spinach are needed. I bought evaporated milk but somehow it didn't make it home, so I just used some 2% milk and I didn't know what brick cheese was, so I used shredded 5 Italian-cheese mix, Everyone in the family loved it. It came out to be two meals for my family of 4 with a little leftover for lunch or snack."
"Not only good right out of the oven, but great to reheat in the microwave. I'm not a big fan of tortellini so I changed that out for those round filled cheese raviolis (so good!). I kept everything else just as the recipe calls for."
"Very good meatless entree, I will make this again. To lighten it up a bit, I used half the butter & it was plenty moist. I used the same large frying pan to sauté baby portobella mushrooms & make the cheddar cheese sauce, then added the cooked tortellini, spinach & mushrooms back to that pan...otherwise I would have used every pot in the kitchen. I added 2x the onion powder & pepper. Added a good amount of a spice blend to the whole shebang along with a few shakes of red pepper flakes. I like a little zing with my spinach. Lastly, I added some leftover cooked, cubed & spiced chicken. The whole dish took about 15 minutes longer with the foil off to reach a proper internal temp of 165'. Was satisfying without being heavy, juicy from the cheese sauce, mushrooms & spinach. Just what I was looking for."
"I cut this recipe in half and 1 box of spinach was plenty. The family loved it, was easy and delicious. Could not find brick cheese so used sharp white chedder instead."
"Delicious and easy. Everyone in my family loved this one."
"I also put in diced chicken breast and shrimp to this, just to give it a little more variety. Whenever I make this I have no left overs, no matter what I make it for! Even my kids love it (and one of them doesn't eat spinach!) Great recipe!"
"[quote user="sistergirl123"]what is brick cheese? [/quote] Brick cheese is a specific type of cheese - it should be labeled "brick". If you can't find it you can substitute Cheddar, Tilsit or Havarti."
"what is brick cheese?"
"I have made this recipe many times for my vegitarian friends and also for myself when my husband is away since he wont eat something if it has no meat. I love it!"
"this is a great company dish. I've made this numerous times and everyone loved it and wanted the receipe."
"Yum, Yum, Yum! No left overs of this one!!!"
"This was terrific although 3 boxes of spinach was too much. 2 boxes is plenty. Also, I used baby bella mushrooms. They add a ton of flavor, more so than white I think. The sauce was delicious."
"This casserole was delicious! It will last 2 nights, and the spinach makes it healthier. I think people will enjoy it. Perhaps add a little more seasoning than asked for."
"Yummy! make it for my veggitarian friends"
"My cousin served this at her daughter's baby shower, it was a big hit. I loved it so much I had to have the recipe. I was thrilled to hear it was fromTaste of Home,and could access it easily from home."
"Love this recipe! Use it all the time!"
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.