We take turns cooking Sunday meals at my church, and this soup is always popular. It's a smart way to use zucchini, and people seem to enjoy the cheese tortellini as well as the Italian turkey sausage. -Pamela Smith of Flushing, New York
- 1-1/4 pounds Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6-1/2 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups thinly sliced carrots
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 cups sliced zucchini
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 cups frozen cheese tortellini
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- In a Dutch oven or large saucepan, cook sausage and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Add the broth, tomatoes, carrots, celery, ketchup and Italian seasoning. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add the zucchini and green pepper; cook 5-7 minutes longer or until green pepper is tender. Stir in tortellini and parsley. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; cook, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until tortellini is tender. Sprinkle with cheese just before serving. Yield: 9 servings.
Originally published as Tortellini Minestrone in Light & Tasty April/May 2006, p17
Reviews for Tortellini Minestrone
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review