- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 package (9 ounces) refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a large bowl, combine the egg, spinach, bread crumbs, salt and pepper. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 3/4-in. balls.
- In a large saucepan, brown meatballs in batches in 1 tablespoon oil; drain. Remove meatballs and keep warm.
- In the same pan, saute onion in remaining oil for 2 minutes. Add celery and carrots; saute 2 minutes longer. Stir in the broth, beans, tomatoes, basil and oregano. Add meatballs; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Return to a boil. Add tortellini; cook for 7-9 minutes or until tender, stirring several times. Garnish with Parmesan cheese. Yield: 6 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Originally published as Tortellini Meatball Stew in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2009, p100
Reviews for Tortellini Meatball Stew
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jun. 10, 2014
So many flavors! It was delicious! But, we did need to add an extra cup of broth to keep it from drying out.