Loaded with meatballs, tortellini, tomatoes and kidney beans, this hearty stew is sure to warm you up on cold winter days. Sprinkle servings with shredded Parmesan for even more flavor.—Lori Martin, Marysville, Michigan
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 package (9 ounces) refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a large bowl, combine the egg, spinach, bread crumbs, salt and pepper. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 3/4-in. balls.
- In a large saucepan, brown meatballs in batches in 1 tablespoon oil; drain. Remove meatballs and keep warm.
- In the same pan, saute onion in remaining oil for 2 minutes. Add celery and carrots; saute 2 minutes longer. Stir in the broth, beans, tomatoes, basil and oregano. Add meatballs; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Return to a boil. Add tortellini; cook for 7-9 minutes or until tender, stirring several times. Garnish with Parmesan cheese. Yield: 6 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Originally published as Tortellini Meatball Stew in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2009, p100
Reviews for Tortellini Meatball Stew
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jun. 10, 2014
"So many flavors! It was delicious! But, we did need to add an extra cup of broth to keep it from drying out."