Topknot Rolls Recipe
These golden dinner rolls have a fine texture and a delightful buttery flavor. They brighten any meal. Even though they look special, they are not at all difficult to make.
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons plus 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 1-1/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup butter, melted, cooled, divided
- 5-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Additional butter, softened
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast and 2 teaspoons sugar in water. Let stand for 5 minutes. Add the eggs, 1/2 cup melted butter, 2 cups flour, salt and remaining sugar; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 45 minutes or until doubled.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a heavily floured surface; divide in half. Roll each portion into a 15-in. x 8-in. rectangle. Spread generously with softened butter. Roll up, jelly-roll style, starting with a long side. Using a sharp knife, cut into 1-in. slices. Place cut side up in greased muffin cups. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- 4. Bake at 375° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Brush with remaining melted butter. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 146 calories, 5 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 34 mg cholesterol, 211 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC