Top-Rated Pumpkin Spice Cake Recipe
This pumpkin cake is a little different because of the hint of chocolate. So moist and tender, it'll have guests hoping for seconds! —Katie Wollgast, Florissant, Missouri
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling YIELD:16 servings
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking cocoa
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon each ground nutmeg, allspice and cloves
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- Confectioners' sugar
- Reduced-fat vanilla ice cream, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, beat the pumpkin, sugar, buttermilk, oil, water, eggs, egg whites and vanilla until well blended.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine the flour, cocoa, cinnamon, baking soda, baking power, salt, nutmeg, allspice and cloves; gradually beat into pumpkin mixture until blended. Stir in raisins and chocolate chips.
- 3. Transfer to a 10-in. fluted tube pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- 4. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar. Serve with ice cream if desired. Yield: 16 servings.
1 slice (calculated without ice cream) equals 223 calories, 7 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 27 mg cholesterol, 204 mg sodium, 39 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC