Top-Rated Italian Pot Roast Recipe
- 1 cinnamon stick (3 inches)
- 6 whole peppercorns
- 4 whole cloves
- 3 whole allspice berries
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (2 pounds)
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup dry sherry or reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Hot cooked egg noodles and minced parsley, optional
- 1. Place cinnamon stick, peppercorns, cloves and allspice on a double thickness of cheesecloth. Gather corners of cloth to enclose spices; tie securely with string.
- 2. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Brown roast on all sides; transfer to a 4-qt. slow cooker. Add celery, carrots and spice bag.
- 3. Add onion to same skillet; cook and stir until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add sherry, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until liquid is reduced to 2/3 cup. Stir in tomatoes and salt; pour over roast and vegetables.
- 4. Cook, covered, on low 6-7 hours or until meat and vegetables are tender. Remove roast from slow cooker; keep warm. Discard spice bag; skim fat from sauce. Serve roast and sauce with noodles and parsley, if desired.
- 5. Freeze option: Place sliced pot roast in freezer containers; top with sauce. Cool and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a covered saucepan, stirring gently and adding a little broth if necessary. Yield: 8 servings.
3 ounces cooked beef with 2/3 cup sauce (calculated without noodles) equals 251 calories, 12 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 74 mg cholesterol, 271 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 24 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Reviews for Top-Rated Italian Pot Roast
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.