Tombstone Treats Recipe
"My brother loves Rice Krispies squares, and my mom loves sugar cookies," shares Jill Wright, Dixon, Illinois. "So, I came up with a cute treat they'd both like."
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups miniature marshmallows
- 7-1/2 cups crisp rice cereal
- 1 tube (18 ounces) refrigerated sugar cookie dough
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 32 wooden toothpicks
- 1 teaspoon water
- 4 drops green food coloring
- 1-1/2 cups flaked coconut
- Black decorating gel
- Vanilla frosting
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips, melted
- Candy pumpkins
- 1. In a large saucepan over low heat, melt butter. Stir in marshmallows until completely melted. Remove from the heat. Stir in cereal until well coated. Press into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. pan with a buttered spatula. Cool.
- 2. In a large bowl, beat cookie dough and flour until combined. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Trace tombstone pattern onto waxed paper; cut out 16 tombstones from dough. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- 3. Along bottom edge of each cookie, insert two toothpicks halfway into the dough. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- 4. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine water and green food coloring. Add coconut; seal bag and shake to coat. Toast coconut; set aside. Using black gel, tint frosting gray. Frost sugar cookies; decorate with black gel.
- 5. Cut cereal bars into 3-in. x 2-in. rectangles; spread with melted chocolate. Using toothpicks, insert cookies into cereal bars. Decorate with coconut and candies as desired. Yield: 16 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 358 calories, 15 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 15 mg cholesterol, 306 mg sodium, 55 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC