- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups miniature marshmallows
- 7-1/2 cups crisp rice cereal
- 1 tube (18 ounces) refrigerated sugar cookie dough
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 32 wooden toothpicks
- 1 teaspoon water
- 4 drops green food coloring
- 1-1/2 cups flaked coconut
- Black decorating gel
- Vanilla frosting
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips, melted
- Candy pumpkins
- In a large saucepan over low heat, melt butter. Stir in marshmallows until completely melted. Remove from the heat. Stir in cereal until well coated. Press into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. pan with a buttered spatula. Cool.
- In a large bowl, beat cookie dough and flour until combined. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Trace tombstone pattern onto waxed paper; cut out 16 tombstones from dough. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Along bottom edge of each cookie, insert two toothpicks halfway into the dough. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine water and green food coloring. Add coconut; seal bag and shake to coat. Toast coconut; set aside. Using black gel, tint frosting gray. Frost sugar cookies; decorate with black gel.
- Cut cereal bars into 3-in. x 2-in. rectangles; spread with melted chocolate. Using toothpicks, insert cookies into cereal bars. Decorate with coconut and candies as desired. Yield: 16 servings.
Originally published as Tombstone Treats in Taste of Home October/November 2006, p17
Reviews for Tombstone Treats
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Aug. 29, 2013
"So fun, easy and cute!"
Reviewed Sep. 23, 2010
"I did a halloween dinner for my kids. I used the tombstones as place cards. I did them up a little different, and put there names on it like RIP Mark. Everyone loved them."