Tomatoes with Herb Stuffing Recipe
This recipe uses hollowed-out whole tomatoes as cups for savory bread stuffing.—Faye Wortman, Evansville, Indiana
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Bake: 25 min. YIELD:8 servings
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 cups each cubed day-old white, whole wheat and rye bread
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup condensed chicken broth, undiluted
- 8 medium tomatoes
- 1. In a Dutch oven, saute celery and onion in butter until tender. Remove from the heat. Stir in the bread cubes, parsley, sage, thyme, salt and pepper. Add broth; toss to coat.
- 2. Cut a thin slice off the top of each tomato. Scoop out pulp, leaving a 1/2-in. shell. Invert tomatoes onto paper towels to drain. Spoon about 1/3 cup stuffing into each tomato. Place in a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish. Place remaining stuffing around tomatoes. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until tomatoes are tender. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 219 calories, 13 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 31 mg cholesterol, 503 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC