VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 cups each cubed day-old white, whole wheat and rye bread
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup condensed chicken broth, undiluted
- 8 medium tomatoes
- In a Dutch oven, saute celery and onion in butter until tender. Remove from the heat. Stir in the bread cubes, parsley, sage, thyme, salt and pepper. Add broth; toss to coat.
- Cut a thin slice off the top of each tomato. Scoop out pulp, leaving a 1/2-in. shell. Invert tomatoes onto paper towels to drain. Spoon about 1/3 cup stuffing into each tomato. Place in a greased 11x7-in. baking dish. Place remaining stuffing around tomatoes. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until tomatoes are tender. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Tomatoes with Herb Stuffing in Taste of Home June/July 2005, p48
Reviews forTomatoes with Herb Stuffing
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 12, 2009
"Great recipe! I missed the part about EACH for the bread and only used a total of 2 cups. I can't imagine getting 6 cups of stuffing into 8 medium tomatoes!"