Tomato Zucchini Stew Recipe
- 1-1/4 pounds bulk Italian sausage
- 1-1/2 cups sliced celery (3/4-inch pieces)
- 8 medium fresh tomatoes (about 4 pounds), peeled and cut into sixths
- 1-1/2 cups tomato juice
- 4 small zucchini, sliced into 1/4-inch pieces
- 2-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1-1/2 to 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups canned whole kernel corn, drained
- 2 medium green peppers, sliced into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
- Shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1. In a Dutch oven or large saucepan, crumble sausage and cook over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add celery and cook for 15 minutes; drain.
- 2. Add tomatoes, tomato juice, zucchini and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Add corn and peppers; cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- 3. Combine cornstarch and water; stir into stew. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until mixture thickens. Sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1-1/2 cups) equals 262 calories, 11 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 28 mg cholesterol, 1,344 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 12 g protein.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.