Tomato Zucchini Stew Recipe
- 1-1/4 pounds Johnsonville® Mild Ground Italian Sausage
- 1-1/2 cups sliced celery (3/4-inch pieces)
- 8 medium fresh tomatoes (about 4 pounds), peeled and cut into sixths
- 1-1/2 cups tomato juice
- 4 small zucchini, sliced into 1/4-inch pieces
- 2-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1-1/2 to 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups canned whole kernel corn, drained
- 2 medium green peppers, sliced into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
- Shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a Dutch oven or large saucepan, crumble sausage and cook over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add celery and cook for 15 minutes; drain.
- Add tomatoes, tomato juice, zucchini and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Add corn and peppers; cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Combine cornstarch and water; stir into stew. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until mixture thickens. Sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Tomato Zucchini Stew
Sort By :
"The taste is so very good!"
"I added turkey Italian sausage, a can of fire roasted tomatoes, fresh mushrooms and did not add sugar. Also used fresh corn from the cob. Delicious!"
"So, I decided to write a review for this since no one has written one yet...I definitely would make this again. I did some alterations...I used Turkey Kielbasa instead of sausage, just to cut some of the fat, even though I'll probably try it with italian sausage next time. I didn't have tomato juice, so I used tomato puree...same difference I think...added water, only one can of corn, and no cornstarch...add as much water as you like for the consistency that you want. My 93 yr. old Italian grandmother told me it was the best stew recipe she'd ever tasted...for being the cook of the family, it surely was a compliment...so thank you...great recipe and easy!!"