Tomato Zucchini Soup Recipe
"When there's an abundance of zucchini in our garden, I know it's time for this fresh-tasting soup," notes Mrs. R.C. Friend of Lynden, Washington.
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 pounds zucchini, chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup half-and-half cream or milk
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute onion, celery, garlic and green pepper in oil until tender. Add zucchini, tomatoes, broth, basil and thyme; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20-30 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Stir in cream; heat through. Serve hot or cold. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
1 cup equals 98 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 17 mg cholesterol, 409 mg sodium, 9 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein.. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 fat.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC