Tomato Vegetable Soup
Gardening is one of my many hobbies and this recipe is a great way to use fresh tomatoes. It makes a wonderful light meal, served with crackers or herb-flavored croutons.
8 ServingsPrep: 5 min. Cook: 50 min.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups water
- 2-1/2 pounds fresh tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 3 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon ground mace
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Add
- remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer,
- covered, for 40 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Yield: about
- 8 servings (2 quarts).
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 79 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 8 mg cholesterol, 618 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 2 g protein.