Tomato Spiral Toss
"When my husband and I don't have a lot of time, we fix this pleasing pasta dish," remarks Nicole Lynch of Powell River, British Columbia. It's easy to prepare...and easy on the pocketbook at 42 cents a serving. The price comes down even more if you use homegrown tomatoes from your garden.
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 8 ounces uncooked spiral pasta
- 2-1/2 cups diced fresh tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, combine
- tomatoes and basil in a serving bowl; set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the oil, vinegar, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Drain pasta; add to tomato mixture. Drizzle with oil mixture; toss
- to coat. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Serve immediately. Yield: 6
Nutritional Facts: One serving (prepared with 1/4 cup oil) equals 237 calories, 11 g fat (0 saturated fat), 2 mg cholesterol, 163 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 6 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 fat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable.