I first sampled this soup in a local restaurant. After some experimenting with ingredients and seasonings, I finally found a combination my family preferred to the original.
- 2 large yellow onions, cubed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 quart water
- 4 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups loosely packed spinach leaves
- Grated Parmesan or shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, saute onions in oil over medium heat for 10 minutes or until tender. Add the next eight ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Stir in spinach; simmer for 3-5 minutes or until tender. Garnish individual servings with cheese if desired. Yield: 8-10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Originally published as Tomato Spinach Soup in Home-Style Soups, Salad and Sandwiches Cookbook 1996, p21
Reviews for Tomato Spinach Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review