Tomato Spice Muffins Recipe
I'm always on the lookout for recipes using garden produce. Although I'm the only one in our family who likes tomatoes, my husband and daughter love these muffins. They have a yummy spice flavor, and the tomatoes keep them moist.
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup butter, melted and cooled
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 5 cups seeded quartered tomatoes (about 6 medium)
- 1 cup raisins
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first nine ingredients; set aside. In a food processor, combine the eggs, butter, vanilla and tomatoes; cover and process until tomatoes are finely chopped. Add to dry ingredients; stir just until moistened. Fold in raisins.
- 2. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Serve warm. Yield: about 2 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 226 calories, 5 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 28 mg cholesterol, 230 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC