Tomato Soup with Cheese Tortellini Recipe
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 pounds plum tomatoes, seeded and quartered
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 1 cup dried cheese tortellini
- 1/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Add the tomatoes, broth, tomato sauce, basil, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Cool slightly.
- Cook tortellini according to package directions; drain well and set aside. In a blender, cover and process soup in batches until smooth. Return to the saucepan; add tortellini and heat through. Garnish with cheese. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Reviews for Tomato Soup with Cheese Tortellini(7)
Sort By :
It is January in Minnesota , so Roma tomatoes are expensive and not very good. So, I used canned whole Romas. This soup was great! I will definitely be making this again. It is simple, uses things I usually have in the pantry, and tastes great! What more could you want?
Very tasty, I had to use cherry tomatoes because roma were not at my grocers. I added a whole container of tortellini, which my kids mostly ate out of the soup and left the the tomato soup.
I have to admit I was a little skeptical at first when I read the ingredients to this soup. I was thinking it was going to have a very tomato-ey taste which neither my husband or I enjoy. I was pleasantly surprised when I served this delicious soup up!! My husband went back for seconds and thirds! Even my picky daughter enjoyed it. What a wonderful recipe. I didn't have fresh basil, but added a teaspoon of dried basil while the tomatoes simmered. Still tasted fabulous!
Big hit at our house! We really enjoyed it. I featured it on my blog in the recipe of the week section. http://cynfullywonderful.blogspot.com/p/recipe-of-week.html
I've made this recipe a few times & we love it. I will be making this again as soon as my plum tomatoes are ready. I'm glad I put it in my recipe box.
More Recipe Collections
- Broth Soup Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Cheese Soup >
- Cheese Soup Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Soup Recipes >
- Comfort Food Vegetarian Recipes >
- Country Woman Recipes >
- Country Woman Soup Recipes >
- Country Woman Vegetarian Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Diabetic Soup Recipes >
- Italian Recipes >
- Italian Soup >
- Italian Soups >
- Italian Vegetarian Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Soup Recipes >