“Tortellini gives this garden-fresh tomato soup stick-to-your-ribs goodness,“ says Susan Peck, a busy mother of four. It's a staple on her table in Republic, Missouri.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 pounds plum tomatoes, seeded and quartered
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 1 cup dried cheese tortellini
- 1/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Add the tomatoes, broth, tomato sauce, basil, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Cool slightly.
- Cook tortellini according to package directions; drain well and set aside. In a blender, cover and process soup in batches until smooth. Return to the saucepan; add tortellini and heat through. Garnish with cheese. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Originally published as Tomato Soup with Cheese Tortellini in Country Woman October/November 2007, p25
Reviews for Tomato Soup with Cheese Tortellini
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review