Tomato Soup with a Twist
In 1932, our junior high school cooking class teacher taught us a simple recipe starting with a can of tomato soup. As I was preparing tomato soup for lunch recently, I remembered those two additional ingredients. I had forgotten what a tasty difference the peanut butter and cheese make.
-Eleanor Stamen, Whitehall, Pennsylvania
2 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1 tablespoon creamy peanut butter
- 1-1/3 cups whole milk
- 2 tablespoons shredded cheddar cheese
- Additional cheddar cheese
- In a large saucepan, combine soup and peanut butter. Gradually stir
- in milk. Add cheese; cook and stir until peanut butter and cheese
- are melted and soup is heated through. Garnish with additional
- cheese. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 271 calories, 12 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 30 mg cholesterol, 1,057 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 11 g protein.