- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 can (14 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 jar (14 ounces) spaghetti sauce
- 1 cup salsa
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup white wine or additional chicken broth
- 3 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (12 ounces) frozen uncooked shrimp, thawed, peeled and deveined
- 1 package (8 ounces) imitation crabmeat, chopped or 2 cans (6 ounces each) crabmeat, drained, flaked and cartilage removed
- 1 can (6-1/2 ounces) minced clams, undrained
- In a Dutch oven, saute onion and green pepper in oil until onion is tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the tomatoes, spaghetti sauce, salsa, broth, wine and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the shrimp, crab and clams. Cover and simmer for 5-7 minutes or until shrimp turn pink. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Tomato Seafood Soup
"Delicious hearty soup, I made it exactly as written and loved it!"
"Delicious! I made a larger amount of the broth mixture, doubled the shrimp and the clams and added fresh cod. I also added some Old Bay's Seasoning. Very easy to prepare."
"Good. I altered a couple of things due to what I had on hand, but it had a nice kick to it and went great with fresh oregano bread."
"Oh my gosh! Absolutely delicious! I sub'd an orange pepper for the green one and used 3 cloves of fresh garlic. I also used mild salsa cuz my husband doesn't like spicy foods. In addition to the shrimp, crabmeat, and clams, I added some chopped up calamari. I spiced my own serving up with a little hot sauce."
"I added fresh crawfish, fresh Maryland crabs, and fresh snow crab clusters to mine. Im allergic to imitation crab meat. I didnt have salsa so I just added extra onion, garlic, tomato, and pepper and threw in a little taco seasoning and taco sauce. Also minced up so jalape?os, threw in some potatoes, cilantro (didn't have basil, oreg or parsley) and a few sprigs of thyme."