- 1/2 pound turkey Italian sausage links, casings removed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 cup chopped carrots
- 1 fennel bulb, chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped celery
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup uncooked small pasta shells
- 1 can (15 ounces) navy beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a Dutch oven, cook sausage and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Add the carrots, fennel and celery; cook until vegetables are softened.
- Stir in the broth to loosen any browned bits from pan. Add tomatoes, basil, oregano and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in pasta and beans. Add enough water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Tomato Sausage Stew in Light & Tasty October/November 2002, p29
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Tomato Sausage Stew
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Aug. 23, 2015
"Great soup... Would suggest adding soup over cooled pre-cooked noodles my shell noodles were over cooked, probably simmered too long..."