Tomato Sausage Stew Recipe
- 1/2 pound turkey Italian sausage links, casings removed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 cup chopped carrots
- 1 fennel bulb, chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped celery
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup uncooked small pasta shells
- 1 can (15 ounces) navy beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a Dutch oven, cook sausage and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Add the carrots, fennel and celery; cook until vegetables are softened.
- Stir in the broth to loosen any browned bits from pan. Add tomatoes, basil, oregano and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in pasta and beans. Add enough water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Tomato Sausage Stew in Light & Tasty October/November 2002, p29
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Tomato Sausage Stew
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review