Tomato Sausage Polenta Recipe
"Won't you stay for supper?" is a question our family asks friends often. That's why I've got plenty of recipes like this meaty, tomatoey oneperfect for spur-or-the-moment company. Potlucks and church dinners are common around here, too, and this is my most-requested contribution.
- 1/2 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large saucepan, cook the sausage, onion, garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato sauce, oregano and salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, Parmesan cheese, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt. Whisk the egg, milk and oil; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Pour into greased 9-in. square baking dish. Carefully pour tomato mixture over batter. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes until golden. Sprinkle with the cheddar cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Tomato Sausage Polenta in Country Woman January/February 1990, p33
Reviews for Tomato Sausage Polenta(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Cheese Recipes >
- Cinco de Mayo Dinners >
- Cinco de Mayo Recipes >
- Country Woman Dinner Recipes >
- Country Woman Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Low Fat Dinner Recipes & Main Dishes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Mexican Dinners >
- Mexican Recipes >
- Pork Dinner Recipes >
- Pork Main Dishes >