Tomato Rosemary Hummus
Crispy pita chips are the perfect accompaniment to a creamy hummus infused with the appealing tastes of tomato and rosemary.
12 ServingsPrep: 35 min. + cooling
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Baked pita chips
- In a large skillet, saute onion in oil until softened. Reduce heat to
- medium-low; cook, stirring occasionally, for 20-30 minutes or until
- light golden brown. Add garlic; cook 2 minutes longer.
- Cool slightly. Transfer onion mixture to a food processor. Add the
- beans, tomato paste, rosemary, salt and pepper; cover and process
- until smooth. Serve with chips. Yield: 3 cups.
Nutritional Facts: 1/4 cup (calculated without chips) equals 115 calories, 5 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 199 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fat.