Tomato Pizza Recipe
- 6 medium firm tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 prebaked 12-inch pizza crust
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained, optional
- 1/2 cup diced green pepper
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1. Place tomato slices in a circle on crust, overlapping slightly until crust is completely covered. Drizzle with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Cover with olives if desired, green pepper and onion. Sprinkle with basil.
- 2. Cover with mozzarella and cheddar cheeses. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes or until cheese is melted. Serve immediately. Yield: 8 servings.
1 slice: 223 calories, 12g fat (0 saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 599mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 12g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Reviews for Tomato Pizza
"I cannot believe I am the first one to rate this recipe. I have used this recipe for YEARS! It was printed in my very first TOH cookbook years ago. This recipe is so fabulous, and so simple. At first glance, it doesn't seem like much, but it IS. One of the secrets is using GREAT tomatoes. Even if they are juicy tomatoes you can make this recipe work by doing the one trick I use: Slice the tomatoes, then put them in your salad spinner and spin the liquid out! Then they are ready for the crust. Wallah! I do the rest pretty much as written, sometimes I add jarred garlic and oil to the crust BEFORE putting the tomatoes on. One more comment: My father in law is a big meat eater. When I made this for him, he couldn't believe how good it was, even without meat!"
Sweet Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet red wine.