My great-grandmother made this recipe in the 1930s. When my mom and grandmother were cooking up the pancakes, we kids all wanted to flip them over. They're different yet appealing and can be served with sausage or bacon.—Elizabeth Higgins, Corinth, Maine
6-8 ServingsPrep: 5 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) whole tomatoes, undrained
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Butter and maple syrup, optional
- In a blender, combine the tomatoes, eggs and oil; cover and process
- until the tomatoes are finely chopped. In a small bowl, combine the
- flour, baking soda and salt. Stir in the tomato mixture just until
- Pour batter by 1/4 cupfuls onto a greased hot griddle. Turn when
- bubbles form on top; cook until second side is golden brown. Serve
- with butter and syrup if desired. Yield: about 12 pancakes.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 173 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 53 mg cholesterol, 488 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.