Tomato Onion Salad
"I worked as a summer cook at a Wyoming ranch for more than 20 years, and I made this marinated salad often," writes Nell Cruse of Ontario, Oregon. "It was obviously a favorite because there were never any leftovers."
6 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 4 large tomatoes, sliced
- 2 medium sweet onions, thinly sliced and separate into rings
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Layer tomatoes and onions in a shallow serving dish. In a jar with a
- tight-fitting lid, combine the remaining ingredients; shake well.
- Drizzle over salad. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours
- before serving. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (3/4 cup) equals 119 calories, 90 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 406 mg sodium, 9 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1-1/2 fat.