Tomato Onion Quiche Recipe
This pretty quiche is best fresh out of the oven when the cheese is wonderfully gooey. I especially enjoy it in summer with vine-ripe tomatoes and fresh basil. —Sherri Crews, St. Augustine, Florida
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 45 min. + standing YIELD:3 servings
- 1 sheet refrigerated pie pastry
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup sliced sweet onion
- 2 small plum tomatoes, seeded and thinly sliced
- 3 medium fresh mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1. Cut pastry sheet in half. Repackage and refrigerate one half for another use. On a lightly floured surface, roll out remaining half into an 8-in. circle. Transfer to a 7-in. pie plate; flute edges.
- 2. Layer half of the mozzarella cheese, onion and tomatoes in pastry. Top with mushrooms; layer with remaining mozzarella cheese, onion and tomatoes. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. In a small bowl, combine the eggs, cream, mustard and herbs; pour over top.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 45-55 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 3 servings.
1 piece equals 436 calories, 26 g fat (13 g saturated fat), 265 mg cholesterol, 516 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 22 g protein.
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC