Tomato Onion Pie Recipe
This pie offers a tempting mix of flavors. The quiche-like dish is attractive and easy to cut.—Faye Wortman, Evansville, Indiana
- 8 cups thinly sliced sweet onions
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 12 bacon strips, cooked and drained
- 2 cups soft bread crumbs
- 3 to 4 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Additional tomato slices, optional
- 1. In a large skillet, saute onions in butter until tender. Crumble nine bacon strips; set remaining strips aside. Place the bread crumbs in a greased 9-in. deep-dish pie plate. Layer with half of the tomatoes, onions, crumbled bacon and cheese. Top with the remaining tomatoes, onions and crumbled bacon.
- 2. In a bowl, beat the eggs, salt and pepper; pour over the top. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Top with reserved bacon strips. Arrange additional tomato slices around the edge if desired. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 403 calories, 25 g fat (14 g saturated fat), 171 mg cholesterol, 710 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 19 g protein.
Reviews for Tomato Onion Pie
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC