You don't often think of casseroles to serve in summertime, but this one is scrumptious with fresh-from-the-garden tomatoes.—Elaine Seip, Medicine Hat, Alberta
Recommended: 23 Favorite Italian Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened, divided
- 8 slices French bread (1 inch thick)
- 2/3 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 eggs
- 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°. Spread 2 tablespoons butter over both sides of bread. Place on a baking sheet; bake for about 3 minutes on each side or until lightly toasted. Cut into 1-in. cubes. Reduce heat to 350°.
- In a large skillet, saute green pepper, onion and garlic in remaining butter until tender. In a large bowl, lightly beat the eggs. Stir in bread cubes, vegetable mixture, bacon, sugar, salt, oregano and pepper.
- Transfer to a greased 11x7-in. baking dish. Cut each tomato into four thick slices; arrange over the top. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake, uncovered, for 30-35 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Tomato Mozzarella Bake in Casserole Cookbook 2001, p239