Tomato Meat Loaf Recipe
"My husband is on a low-fat diet, so I try to make dishes that are lower in fat, sugar and salt but still have flavor," offers Linda Begley of Stoutsville, Missouri. Her easy-to-fix meat loaf, topped with slices of tomato, is tender, tasty and cuts nicely.
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 slice white bread, crumbled
- 4 saltines, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 medium tomato, sliced
- In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into a loaf in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1 hour.
- Arrange tomato slices over loaf. Bake 30 minutes longer or until meat is no longer pink and a meat thermometer reads 160°. Using two large spatulas, carefully transfer meat loaf to a serving platter. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Tomato Meat Loaf in Taste of Home February/March 2003, p46
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Tomato Meat Loaf(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Diabetic Dinner Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Beef Meat Loaf Recipes >
- Ground Beef Recipes >