Tomato Mac 'n' Cheese Recipe
White cheddar cheese and tomatoes add a new dimension to macaroni and cheese.
- 12 ounces uncooked penne pasta
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1 pound white cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 cup chopped seeded tomatoes
- 1. Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add the milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- 2. Reduce heat to medium. Stir in the cheese, salt, mustard and pepper. Cook and stir until cheese is melted. Drain pasta; stir into cheese sauce. Cook and stir for 3 minutes or until heated through. Stir in tomatoes just until combined. Yield: 6 servings.
1-1/2 cups equals 655 calories, 36 g fat (22 g saturated fat), 111 mg cholesterol, 789 mg sodium, 52 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 31 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC