Tomato Lemon Marmalade
This is a marmalade I make for our church bazaar every fall. It always sells out in no time at all.Mrs. Helen Witt, Minneapolis, Minnesota
36 ServingsPrep: 1-1/4 hours Process: 10 min.
- 5 medium ripe tomatoes
- 4 cups chopped peeled tart apples (about 4 large)
- 2 medium lemons, seeded and finely chopped
- 6 cups sugar
- 2-1/4 teaspoons ground ginger
- 8 whole cloves
- Peel, quarter and chop the tomatoes; place in a colander to drain.
- Transfer to a Dutch oven; add apples and lemons. Cook and stir over
- medium heat for 15 minutes. Add sugar and ginger. Tie cloves in a
- cheesecloth bag; add to the pot. Bring to a boil, stirring
- occasionally, and cook until sugar has dissolved. Reduce heat;
- simmer for 40 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Remove spice bag. Carefully ladle hot mixture into hot half-pint
- jars, leaving 1/4-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles, wipe rims and
- adjust lids. Process for 10 minutes in a boiling-water canner.
- Yield: 9 half-pints.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 tablespoons) equals 142 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 3 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, trace protein.