This is a marmalade I make for our church bazaar every fall. It always sells out in no time at all.—Mrs. Helen Witt, Minneapolis, Minnesota
- 5 medium ripe tomatoes
- 4 cups chopped peeled tart apples (about 4 large)
- 2 medium lemons, seeded and finely chopped
- 6 cups sugar
- 2-1/4 teaspoons ground ginger
- 8 whole cloves
- Peel, quarter and chop the tomatoes; place in a colander to drain. Transfer to a Dutch oven; add apples and lemons. Cook and stir over medium heat for 15 minutes. Add sugar and ginger. Tie cloves in a cheesecloth bag; add to the pot. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally, and cook until sugar has dissolved. Reduce heat; simmer for 40 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Remove spice bag. Carefully ladle hot mixture into nine hot half-pint jars, leaving 1/4-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding hot mixture. Wipe rims. Center lids on jars; screw on bands until fingertip tight.
- Place jars into canner with simmering water, ensuring that they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil; process for 10 minutes. Remove jars and cool. Yield: 9 half-pints.
Originally published as Tomato Lemon Marmalade in Birds & Blooms August/September 2001, p33
Reviews for Tomato Lemon Marmalade
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review