Tomato-Jalapeno Granita Recipe
Everyone will say "wow" after one taste of this refreshing, icy appetizer. Even my grandchildren enjoy the tomato, mint and lime flavors. —Paula Marchesi, Lenhartsville, Pennsylvania
- 2 cups tomato juice
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 4 mint sprigs
- 1 jalapeno pepper, sliced
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- Fresh mint leaves, optional
- 1. In a small saucepan, bring the tomato juice, sugar, mint sprigs and jalapeno to a boil. Cook and stir until sugar is dissolved. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 15 minutes.
- 2. Strain and discard solids. Stir in lime juice. Transfer to a 1-qt. dish; cool to room temperature. Freeze for 1 hour; stir with a fork.
- 3. Freeze 2-3 hours longer or until completely frozen, stirring every 30 minutes. Scrape granita with a fork just before serving; spoon into dessert dishes. Garnish with additional mint if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving equals 59 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 218 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 1 starch.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC