Tomato-Jalapeno Granita Recipe
Everyone will say "wow" after one taste of this refreshing, icy appetizer. Even my grandchildren enjoy the tomato, mint and lime flavors. —Paula Marchesi, Lenhartsville, Pennsylvania
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. + freezing YIELD:6 servings
- 2 cups tomato juice
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 4 mint sprigs
- 1 jalapeno pepper, sliced
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- Fresh mint leaves, optional
- 1. In a small saucepan, bring the tomato juice, sugar, mint sprigs and jalapeno to a boil. Cook and stir until sugar is dissolved. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 15 minutes.
- 2. Strain and discard solids. Stir in lime juice. Transfer to a 1-qt. dish; cool to room temperature. Freeze for 1 hour; stir with a fork.
- 3. Freeze 2-3 hours longer or until completely frozen, stirring every 30 minutes. Scrape granita with a fork just before serving; spoon into dessert dishes. Garnish with additional mint if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving equals 59 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 218 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 1 starch.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC