- 1 package (1/4 ounce) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon each dried oregano, thyme and rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- Dash pepper
- 2 to 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 plum tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add 1 tablespoon oil, salt, sugar, garlic powder, herbs, pepper and 1-1/2 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Shape into a 13-in. x 9-in. rectangle; place on a greased baking sheet. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes. With fingertips, make several dimples over top of dough.
Brush dough with remaining oil; arrange tomatoes over the top. Sprinkle with cheeses. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to a wire rack.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled focaccia squares in freezer containers, separating layers with waxed paper. To use, reheat squares on a baking sheet in a preheated 400° oven until heated through. Yield: 1 loaf (12 pieces).
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Tomato-Herb Focaccia
Sort By :
"I have made this numerous times and each time everyone has loved it. I have even added red onions, spinach, sliced tomatoes and feta cheese for a different variety. Great recipe."
"This recipe is wonderful! I make it all the time for my husband and he eats almost the entire thing himself. It does take a little extra time to make but its so worth it!!! Its one of my all time favorites!"
"Love this recipe! Turns out great everytime. Also, different cheeses and minced garlic can be added before baking for garlic lovers."
"My daughter and I make this and it's easy and wonderful."