Tomato Ground Beef Mix
"After more than 50 years of cooking, I'm happy to find recipes like this one that help put a variety of meals on the table," remarks Lorraine Caland of Thunder Bay, Ontario. The mixture is handy to keep in the freezer to jumpstart the three main dishes shared here.
8 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 35 min. + freezing
- 4 pounds ground beef
- 4 medium onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cans (28 ounces each) diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) tomato paste
- 1 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 2 to 3 teaspoons dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- In a Dutch oven, cook the beef, onions and garlic over medium heat
- until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the remaining
- ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15
- minutes. Uncover; simmer 15 minutes longer. Cool.
- Freeze mixture in 2-cup portions in freezer containers. May be frozen
- for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator before using. Yield:
- about 16 cups.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving equals 535 calories, 28 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 150 mg cholesterol, 1,158 mg sodium,