Tomato Gnocchi with Pesto Recipe
Our taste panel simply loved the flavorful blend of pesto sauce and pine nuts in this delectable and impressive dish from our Test Kitchen that any cook would be proud to serve guests—even Italian ones!
- 1 pound russet potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 3 quarts water
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh basil
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- 1. Place potatoes in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- 2. Over warm burner or very low heat, stir potatoes for 1-2 minutes or until steam is evaporated. Press through a potato ricer or strainer into a small bowl; cool slightly. In a Dutch oven, bring water to a boil.
- 3. Using a fork, make a well in the potatoes. Sprinkle flour over potatoes and into well. Whisk the egg, tomato paste and 1/2 teaspoon salt; pour into well. Stir until blended. Knead 10-12 times, forming a soft dough.
- 4. Divide dough into four portions. On a floured surface, roll portions into 1/2-in.-thick ropes; cut into 3/4-in. pieces. Press and roll each piece with a lightly floured fork. Cook gnocchi in boiling water in batches for 30-60 seconds or until they float. Remove with a strainer and keep warm.
- 5. For pesto, place the oil, water, basil, garlic and remaining salt in a food processor; cover and process until blended. Stir in Parmesan cheese. Spoon over gnocchi; toss gently to coat. Sprinkle with pine nuts. Yield: 4 servings.
1 cup: 312 calories, 13g fat (3g saturated fat), 56mg cholesterol, 545mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 4g fiber), 10g protein Diabetic Exchanges:2-1/2 starch, 2-1/2 fat
Reviews for Tomato Gnocchi with Pesto
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC