- potatoes and into well. Whisk the egg, tomato paste and 1/2 teaspoon
- salt; pour into well. Stir until blended. Knead 10-12 times, forming
- a soft dough.
- Divide dough into four portions. On a floured surface, roll portions
- into 1/2-in.-thick ropes; cut into 3/4-in. pieces. Press and roll
- each piece with a lightly floured fork. Cook gnocchi in boiling
- water in batches for 30-60 seconds or until they float. Remove with
- a strainer and keep warm.
- For pesto, place the oil, water, basil, garlic and remaining salt in
- a food processor; cover and process until blended. Stir in Parmesan
- cheese. Spoon over gnocchi; toss gently to coat. Sprinkle with pine
- nuts. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 cup equals 312 calories, 13 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 56 mg cholesterol, 545 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 10 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 2-1/2 fat.