Tomato Gnocchi with Pesto Recipe
Our taste panel simply loved the flavorful blend of pesto sauce and pine nuts in this delectable and impressive dish from our Test Kitchen that any cook would be proud to serve guests—even Italian ones!
- 1 pound russet potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 3 quarts water
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh basil
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- Place potatoes in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- Over warm burner or very low heat, stir potatoes for 1-2 minutes or until steam is evaporated. Press through a potato ricer or strainer into a small bowl; cool slightly. In a Dutch oven, bring water to a boil.
- Using a fork, make a well in the potatoes. Sprinkle flour over potatoes and into well. Whisk the egg, tomato paste and 1/2 teaspoon salt; pour into well. Stir until blended. Knead 10-12 times, forming a soft dough.
- Divide dough into four portions. On a floured surface, roll portions into 1/2-in.-thick ropes; cut into 3/4-in. pieces. Press and roll each piece with a lightly floured fork. Cook gnocchi in boiling water in batches for 30-60 seconds or until they float. Remove with a strainer and keep warm.
- For pesto, place the oil, water, basil, garlic and remaining salt in a food processor; cover and process until blended. Stir in Parmesan cheese. Spoon over gnocchi; toss gently to coat. Sprinkle with pine nuts. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Tomato Gnocchi with Pesto in Light & Tasty February/March 2007, p33
Reviews for Tomato Gnocchi with Pesto(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Cheese Recipes >
- Condiments >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Diabetic Side Dishes >
- Dumplings Side Dish Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Side Dishes >
- Healthy Cooking Vegetarian Recipes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Italian Recipes >
- Italian Side Dishes >
- Italian Vegetarian Recipes >
- Nut Recipes >
- Potato Recipes >
- Potato Side Dishes >