- 1 pound russet potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 3 quarts water
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh basil
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- Place potatoes in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- Over warm burner or very low heat, stir potatoes for 1-2 minutes or until steam is evaporated. Press through a potato ricer or strainer into a small bowl; cool slightly. In a Dutch oven, bring water to a boil.
- Using a fork, make a well in the potatoes. Sprinkle flour over potatoes and into well. Whisk the egg, tomato paste and 1/2 teaspoon salt; pour into well. Stir until blended. Knead 10-12 times, forming a soft dough.
- Divide dough into four portions. On a floured surface, roll portions into 1/2-in.-thick ropes; cut into 3/4-in. pieces. Press and roll each piece with a lightly floured fork. Cook gnocchi in boiling water in batches for 30-60 seconds or until they float. Remove with a strainer and keep warm.
- For pesto, place the oil, water, basil, garlic and remaining salt in a food processor; cover and process until blended. Stir in Parmesan cheese. Spoon over gnocchi; toss gently to coat. Sprinkle with pine nuts. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Tomato Gnocchi with Pesto in Light & Tasty February/March 2007, p33
Reviews for Tomato Gnocchi with Pesto
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review